The landlords guide to furnished let properties

Investing in buy-to-let property is an increasingly growing and competitive business. Many landlords have to compete on location, size and even décor to attract the right tenants.

Investing in Housing in multiple occupation (HMO) is no different. This segment will generally be targeted towards students and young professionals who are happy to share living areas. They will unlikely have furniture such as beds, wardrobes and large appliances, therefore will look for furnished properties. If you’ve decided on letting a property part or fully furnished, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Get a landlord insurance quote now

Choosing the right furniture

Many landlords renting to the HMO market will typically furnish the house ready for tenants to move into. Basic but robust is key for a high turnover student accommodation. However, young professionals will be looking for something trendy and long lasting.


Students and young professionals will generally look for well-appointed properties, which include items such as an oven and hob, fridge-freezer and washing machine. If you are supplying appliances that require gas, it is the landlord’s responsibility to ensure the gas safety certificate updated annually. The GSC must be presented to tenants at the beginning of the tenancy and within 28 days of the yearly inspection.

Fire retardant furniture

Any supplied furnishings (for any let property) must to meet the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988, which can be determined on the furniture labels.

Why it matters

There are severe penalties for not complying with the regulations, with a maximum fine of £5,000 per item that does not meet the regulations. This would come under criminal law; therefore landlords may face prison and charges of manslaughter in the case of death.

Consider furniture packs

Although it is tempting to purchase second hand furniture, it may not meet the regulations for let property. Browse retailers that specialise in rental accommodation furniture, which may be cost effective while giving you piece of mind that it meets safety regulations.

Landlord’s contents insurance

Check with your insurance provider whether landlord’s contents insurance is included within your policy; you may need to specifically request this or add this on to your cover. This will only cover your possessions but will not cover the tenant’s possessions, which will need separate tenant’s contents insurance.

Choosing Stride as your insurance broker

As an independent insurance broker with over 40 years’ experience in the let property insurance market, Stride offers highly competitive rates from our panel of leading UK insurers. Commercial and residential property can be covered, from large portfolios to a single rented property.

Speak to us today on 0800 840 6699 or get an instant online quote for property insurance.

Need help finding the exact insurance for you? Get insured
Need help finding the exact insurance for you? Get insured

Latest news and articles